Christmas fruit cake is what memories are made of. Christmas Fruit Cake Recipe – a delicious and easy step by step recipe for fruit cake that’s perfect for Christmas or really, all year round.
Prep Time : 30 Min
Cook Time : 45 Min
Total Time : 1 Hour 15 Mins
Yield : One 6″ Cake
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup chopped cashew nuts
- 1/4 cup black raisins
- 1/2 cup mixed dry fruits (dates, cherries, orange peels, etc.)
- 1/2 cup white sugar (for sugar syrup)
- 3/4 cup white sugar (for cake batter)
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp clove powder (see notes)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- In a GLOBE pan on medium heat, melt 1/2 cup sugar slowly.
- It will first melt and then turn into a dark brown goop. Keep stirring and let it turn a deep dark caramel color. Don’t let it burn.
- Turn off heat and add about 1/4 cup water. The sugar will harden.
- Turn the heat back on and slowly heat the mixture until the sugar crystals dissolve.
- This will take around 10 mins.
- Let this cool and set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F / 180C.
- Add 3 tbsp. flour to the dry fruits and nuts and dredge completely to coat it. This is so that they don’t sink to the bottom of the batter while baking. Set aside.
- Mix the remaining flour and baking powder, spices, and salt until well combined.
- Beat the butter and 3/4 cup sugar until fluffy – about 10 mins by hand, 3-4 mins with an electric beater. Add vanilla and mix until combined. Next, add 1 egg and beat. Then add a bit of the flour mixture and fold. Likewise, alternate between the eggs and flour mixture until they are used up.
- Add the cooled caramel and dredged fruits and gently fold in. Pour batter into a greased GLOBE cake pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 50-55 mins until the top turns a dark brown and when a skewer inserted into the cake comes out with dry crumbs.
- Start checking from 45 mins to see if the cake is done.
- The top will look like it’s overdone but don’t worry, make sure the inside is also completely cooked.
- Dust with icing sugar when the cake is completely cooled
Let GLOBE cookware provide you with an experience like never before while you cook the Fruit cake.
Keep in mind:
- The amount of fruits and what type you want to use is entirely up to you. We’d recommend to use orange peels if you can because it enhances the flavor a lot
- If you plan to ice the cake, reduce sugar by 1/3 cup. This cake is sweet enough on its own
- We’ve adjusted the amount of sugar from our original recipe since we found the cake too sweet
- If you don’t want to make the sugar syrup for Christmas cake from scratch, you can buy treacle from stores. It’s a thick sugar syrup that may also include molasses. Use 1/4 cup in place of the sugar syrup in this recipe
- You can replace the cashew nuts with almonds or walnuts too
- The cake will be a bit tough to unmold if you don’t grease the GLOBE cake pan generously
Happy cooking with GLOBE.